A90 works completed ahead of schedule
4 November 2015
The following update on the A90 bridge demolition works has been issued by Transport Scotland:
The A90 bridge demolition works' successful operation means further closure of A90 are not required.
A third weekend of closures on the A90 are no longer necessary with the old B800 bridge demolition now finished. The road upgrades are an integral part of the Forth Replacement Crossing project. A new bridge for the B800 road between Kirkliston and South Queensferry has been built, meaning that the old B800 bridge needed to be demolished.
In order to safely demolish the bridge a full closure of the A90 was required meaning a significant diversion for road users, but we are pleased to announce the work has been fully completed over the last two weekends.
Transport Scotland has been working closely with stakeholders and operating companies to plan and co-ordinate the works. Every effort was made to minimise the disruption to road users by ensuring that other additional and potentially disruptive works were completed while the A90 was closed.
In total seventeen other operations have been completed including:
• Remedial reconstruction of the A90 on both carriageways
• Maintenance of roadside drainage
• Major joint and surface maintenance on the Forth Road Bridge
• Structural inspections at Echline junction
• Installation of traffic loop detectors on the A90 and M90 Spur
• FCBC also completed a large amount of road construction in preparation for future traffic switches
Steven Brown, Transport Scotland, Roads and Infrastructure Manager said:
“It’s a credit to the team at Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors (FCBC) and their subcontractors Beattie Demolition that they have completed the work on schedule and as planned, so the third reserve weekend is not now required.
“There has been extensive planning put in place for these works. All parties are to be congratulated for the open communication and effective co-ordination ensuring a significant number of additional activities could take place over the closed carriageways, over and above the essential demolition works.
“The public are to be thanked for paying attention to travel advice to plan their journey and for staying clear of the area. Traffic around Kirkliston and South Queensferry has been heavier than normal the past two Sundays and we appreciate the patience of local people while this essential work has been carried out.”
• Watch a video of the first weekend of the demolition works on the Queensferry Crossing youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chywBcrp7W8
• For further information on the Forth Replacement Crossing project please visit: www.queensferrycrossing.co.uk
- See more at: http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/a90-bridge-demolition-works-completed-early#sthash.Jx2rS3JL.dpuf